As a Catholic school, R.E is at the heart of our school life.
The children follow “God Matters”, the Portsmouth Diocesan Religious Education programme, which forms the basis of the school’s Catholic RE curriculum.
Prayer and worship are an important part of the life of our school. The children and staff pray together each day, either in Collective Worship as a whole school or in smaller groups such as Key Stage assemblies or classes. Each day begins and ends with prayer.
The “God Matters” curriculum is followed throughout our school and is split up into ten themes which are revisited and developed each year to support the faith development of the children.
Creation Unit 1
- Explores the creation story and considers why we should look after God’s creation.
Prayer, Saints and Feasts Unit 2
- Explores our relationship with God and how we celebrate our Saints.
Advent Unit 3
- Looks at the season of Advent and how we prepare for Jesus’ birth
Christmas Unit 4
- Looks specifically at the story of Christmas and what it means to us.
Revelation Unit 5
- Develops the children’s knowledge of how we should follow God’s laws and how we are waiting for Jesus to come again.
Sacraments Unit 6
- Children develop a deeper understanding of each of the 7 sacraments within the Catholic Faith.
Lent Unit 7
- Children develop an understanding of how we prepare for Easter through the teachings and example of Jesus.
Holy Week Unit 8
- Children explore each of the different stages of Holy Week and empathise with Jesus and the disciples’ feelings throughout this time.
Easter Unit 9
- Children are given the opportunities to explore the sacrifice Jesus and God made at this time.
Pentecost and Mission Unit 10
- Explores the events of Pentecost and the importance of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- Classes also learn about events within the Liturgical Year, relevant Saints e.g. St Swithun, the saints of our House system, times of particular focus e.g. October and the Rosary.
- Every year children also spend time researching and learning about other faiths e.g. Judaism, Sikhism, Islam and Hinduism.
- Validation Report St. Swithuns Catholic Primary December 2014